Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Oh What Fun!

I must apologize for not blogging more recently but I've had my hands full! All of the sudden, in the last 3 or so days, Caleb has gone from a tiny infant to a curious and alert little person. Suddenly he can see his surroundings and I can tell that he gets some of what is going on around him. Since we've been home I've struggled with activities for him. What are we to do all day? As it turns out, not much right now I'm learning. His job is to sleep, eat, poop and repeat and its not an entirely bad idea for mama to try to sleep and eat in between there. Now that he can see what's going on around him our options have opened up a bit and I'm not sure I'm not having more fun most of the time than he is!

Before he was born I fussed and fussed about making sure he had enough toys. Plenty of well meaning people told me that this was not anything to be concerned with right now. As you may guess I ignored them completely. No child of mine would come into this world without a toy to his name! What would we do when it was time to play?! Little did I know that "play", at this stage, to handsome here is watching mama do the dishes or fold clothes or pretty much anything that I or his Daddy will do within his line of sight and narrate for him. He's perfectly happy lying in his little napper watching me do anything and babble like an fool to myself! Not exactly the days filled with rattles and Nerf footballs like I imagined! He actually tends to look at me like I've lost my mind when I try to get him to play with one of his toys. He stares at me as if to say "mom, I'm only a month old, will you back off with the toys already? Geesh, don't you know anything"? I suppose I should just get
used
to this look as its surely not the last one I will get in his life! This all changed about 3 days ago though..

We woke up and came downstairs to have our usual bottle, diaper change and caffiene fix. After all of the necessities had been tended to I decided to lie him on the floor for a little tummy time. He's not a big fan of tummy time unless he's on your chest so he normally pitches a fit. He did exactly that as soon as I set him down that morning. I turned him over on his back and we started with the usual of mama making faces and sounds. Much to my pleasure and surprise he smiled at me! And not one of the "its just gas" kind of smiles either, I'm talking a full on gummy smile. I cried like an idiot for 10 minutes, text messaged everyone I knew and posted it on my Facebook. By the time I pulled myself together he was crying too! Ever since we've spent a good part of our days lying on the floor or walking around outside looking at things. When I point things out to him, he follows my finger and makes sounds that tell me that he sees and acknowledges what I'm showing him. What a si
mple
but satisying thing it is to see the world again through a childs eyes. Its truely an amazing blessing and privilege to watch this little guy learn about the world around him everyday. I can't wait until we can really explore together and do more hands-on things. As I've mentioned before, I'm a bit of an over achiever and I catch myself pushing Caleb to do things that he may not be ready for just yet so I'm working on my patience. Like I said, I think that I'm having more fun most days than he is!

I've been trying hard to catch a picture of his beautiful smile and as soon as I do I won't be able to stop myself from sharing it with everyone! Stay tuned!
--
Sent from my Android phone with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.

No comments:

Post a Comment