Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Mother And Let Mother

A few weeks before we found out we were pregnant with Caleb we learned that Brett's cousin Adam and his wife Stefanie were pregnant and his cousin Christie and her husband Pete were pregnant too, both with little girls. We were all due within 3 weeks of each other. Of course we were all ecstatic, how much better does it get than having 3 new babies all within weeks of each other? Brett and I were thankful that Caleb would have some cousins his own age to play with as our own siblings aren't anywhere close to having children yet.

Christie, Stefanie and I were lucky to have each other during our pregnancies and talked often. It was great to have 2 other people that knew exactly what you were going through and could relate. Or commiserate as was the case somedays. Now that these 3 sweet babies are here its amazing to see the differences in how we parent. It brings to mind something that has bothered me for a long time. It seems to me that mothers take every available opportunity to criticize, belittle and ostrasize other mothers. Why do we do this? Why does parenting your own individual child in your own individual way drive people, specifically other moms, to be so ugly? Being a mother, so far as I can tell in my 20 days of doing it, isn't a competition nor is how you do it up for public debate. They say that no two babies are alike so wouldn't it stand to reason that no two moms would be either? With the exception of abuse, neglect or any other extenuating circumstance there isn't any right or wrong w
ay to
be a good mom.

I say as long as they're fed, clothed, healthy, loved and safe you've done your job. Anything above and beyond that is personal choice and preference. I am not in charge of making the rules for your children. I'm not going to be held responsible for their actions nor do I have to put up with them. I make the rules and am responsible for my child and my child alone.

* I should mention that although I refered to Christie and Stef this is in no way directed at either of them, they are both fantastic mom's. It's not directed ant anyone actually, just people in general. *

--

No comments:

Post a Comment